McCain has asked Obama to postpone the presidential debate so that the candidates might do their duty as
Senators and spend some time on the financial crisis. Obama has declined, and said that it was his idea in the first place. I am generally of the opinion that politics, like theatre, requires the temporary suspension of disbelief. But this exchange stymies logical analysis. If it was his idea, why won't Obama take the initiative in outlining the path the candidates can take together to address this pressing problem? I, for one, despise these debates. We already know who the winnner will be on rhetorical points. Both of these guys are interviewing for a job. When interviewing for a job, most people tell the interviewer what they think he wants to hear, and make promises they really want to keep in the realization that reality and attendant circumstances will severely curtail what they are able to deliver. In the face of a real problem requiring real and immediate solutions, Obama would rather debate - playing to his obvious rhetorical strength. I find this disappointing and it does nothing to convince me that Obama has the chops to deliver on all of his lofty (if somewhat vague) promises of change. If you are going to pledge deliverance, you have to chart a clear course. So if you want to claim it was your idea to meet McCain and
work rather than
talk: great. I believe you. But then why refuse to follow through?
No comments:
Post a Comment