Thursday, October 2, 2008

random thought

Some people diminish with age until all that is left is quirky habits and a vaguely distressing odor and a poor choice of wardrobe. Others are left with their strengths: wisdom, empathy and kindness - and really nice skin. I don't know if you get to choose which way you develop. ANy thoughts?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It seems to me like you would get to chose.. I don't know, I feel how you turn out in the end all depends on how you lived your life. Like, for example, if you are a mean arrogant ass you will grow old to find that you end up being one of those poor souls in the nursing home who no one comes to visit, and just get crabbier by the minute watching others play with their grandchildren and great-grandchildren while you're left to wonder if you even have any. Or live your life full of joy and love and being to grow old and pass in that same way; surrounded by the return of the love you offer...

Charmer116 said...

Or, some of us might be left with our best qualities ... and wrinkled skin. It seems to me that what is often said of intoxication -- that it reveals a person's true nature -- might also be said of aging. At least, I am personally hoping for this. Women, in particular, are burdened with the Appearance Thing for most of their lives, until one day they find they have crossed some sort of Rubicon, and inner self and character matter more than pulchritude.

I am counting on this liberation as my reward for lasting long enough to be wizened and wiser. Yes, yes, I could choose to believe I am already liberated, an act accordingly. But, I am not liberated, at least not from this particular tyranny, in which I am, truth be told, an active co-conspirator.

So, here's to Aging Gracefully ... someday.

JSA said...

i think by the time realization dawns that you might have chosen your path, it is too late for some. but i appreciate both comments. with both comments.