Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I do solemnly swear...

You would think that after 25 years or so in public office, McCain would be a more polished public speaker. The "my friends" rhetorical device is getting old and is starting to grate on my nerves, as much as I respect the Senator from Arizona. On the other hand, and as noted by, amongst others, Vodkapundit (http://pajamasmedia.com/blog/drunkblogging-tonights-mccain-obama-bout/) and a few people interviewed on NPR, Obama stuck with what has worked for him and did not bother answering most questions. This so annoyed my 16 year-old daughter that she yelled "answer the question! sheesh!" at the television and went upstairs in frustration. I admired her political engagement until I realized she probably was looking for an out from Mom/Dad time to go back on AIM and her mobile. Anyway, back to politics. As far as I am concerned, I am convinced that even so-called "undecided" voters have, in fact, made up their minds weeks ago concerning their vote. They simply enjoy being identified as the "undecided swing vote" and lurk around TV cameras and NPR reporters hoping to be interviewed. What else is there to do in Sheboygan?

McCain is a poor rhetorician who often strays from his script, as evidenced by his stumbling over words on occasion when answering direct questions. Obama is a soothing speaker who seldom abandons his non-message lines, repeating "Bush/McCain" and depicting McCain as a cheerleader for W. until my mental image of the government has been reduced to visions of McCain in a tutu alone with the President in D.C. Apparently these were the only two people in Washington running the country the past eight years. No Democrats in control of Congress since the last election cycle, I suppose. Amazing what you cannot do with a majority in a democracy, these days.

File under: Politics nauseate me.

No comments: